desktop ikons

User-271645 09:13 03 Dec 2004

My desktop is littered with the ikons as they appear after they have had the files extracted,so for every desktop ikon that is usable I have one which is unnecessary.
I have tried deleting them but a window pops up telling me I will lose the program if I do this .
I did think I had this sorted in a previous question but no.
Thanks in advance for any help
Andrew

Spanglish 09:27 03 Dec 2004

What is your operating system?

User-271645 09:32 03 Dec 2004

windows 98
thanks

Wak 11:22 03 Dec 2004

What do you mean "after they have had files extracted"?
Have the programs been properly installed in C:\ Programs or have they just been saved to the desk top?
If you right click on an icon and select Properties it should say that it is only a short cut, then if it is only a short cut you should be able to click on it and drag it to the Recycle bin.
Are you creating these icons in some way when you "extract files"??

User-271645 12:15 03 Dec 2004

Hi,
I seem to be creating the ikons when I extract the files,although it happens automatically,the programs are installed and working.
I did as you suggested,it doesnt say shortcut ,it just gives a general description in proprties,when I right click on shortcut ikon it is clear what it is.
If i try to remave the ikons a window warns me that the program will be unusable.

Andrew.
thanks for help

ACOLYTE 12:20 03 Dec 2004

Sounds like you are putting the .exe files on the pesktop in stead of making a shortcut to it,
how do you extract the files?
Try putting theses files back into the folder they should be in and then making a short cut from them on to desktop,dont drag the file to desktop right clcik and make shortcut,you should be able to find where they belong easy enough.

User-271645 13:33 03 Dec 2004

well I have just binned total recorder set up ikon (when I double click the ikon it tried to install total recorder again) after binning the ikon recorder worked perfectly well from its shotcut ikon.
I guess this is what to do ,so thanks thanks for all help ,I shall mark this solved.
Andrew

Wak 19:07 03 Dec 2004

Just in case you happen to be causing your own problems, when creating a short cut go to Programs/ select the required program and instead of left clicking to get it started, right click it and select "Send to...." then select Desk top (make a short cut).
There are other ways to make a short cut which can sometimes cause problems, using "send to.." is the better method.
Glad you've got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?