Desktop icons will not stay in place when moved

Eddiec 11:17 05 Nov 2008

My desktop icons won't stay in place when moved to a new position. I have tried one of th e posted soltions and this did not work. (Rt click desktop on clear space,click at the top of the box and clear any ticks from the centre group.) This only caused further problems insofar as it moved all my favourites to the left side of the Desktop and they now won't move. Please help!

Eric10 11:24 05 Nov 2008

Right-click Desktop, Arrange Icons By, and untick Auto Arrange.
If this doesn't work then tell us if you're running XP or Vista.

Eddiec 11:35 05 Nov 2008

I have tried that and it caused more problems insofar as my original favourites also moved to the left hand side of the desktop and won't move back!

I am running XP service pack three.

Thanks for your posting and would be grateful for more advice.

Eddiec

Eric10 13:47 05 Nov 2008

Just answer one question. There's no need to change anything at this time.
When you right-click the Desktop and go to 'Arrange Icons By', is there tick next to 'Auto Arrange'?

Eddiec 18:53 05 Nov 2008

Hello Eric10

There is no tick next to 'Arrange Icons By.

Eddiec

Technotiger 18:57 05 Nov 2008

HI, that is not what Erric10 asked you.

He asked - is there tick next to 'Auto Arrange'?

Eric10 19:58 05 Nov 2008

If 'Auto Arrange' isn't ticked then there is this from Microsoft but it sounds a bit scary. click here

Eddiec 12:00 06 Nov 2008

Hello Eric10 (and Technotiger)

Sorry for my faux pas! Yes there is a tick by Auto
Arrange but this has shifted my favourires to the left side of the Desktop and they will not come back!

Eddiec

Eric10 12:36 06 Nov 2008

'Auto Arrange' lines up all your icons at the left side of the screen in some sort of alphabetic order and if you attempt to move them they will just jump back. This is exactly what it is intended to do. If you click 'Auto Arrange' when it is ticked, this will remove the tick and you should then be able to position them where you want them and they should stay there. It is a good idea to have 'Align to Grid' ticked as this maintains equal spacing between the icons.

Eddiec 13:48 06 Nov 2008

Hello Eric10
I have ticked 'Auto Arrange' and 'Align to grid' and this aligns all the icons to the left of the Desktop. Unfortunately, I still cannot move my frequently used icons to the centre of my screen.
This seems to point to the 'Remote Procedure Call Service'?? I have downloaded this document which you suggested and had to go for a glass of something strong when I read it! I have never consciously dabbled with this. Indeed, I would never have the 'computer courage' or the expertise to even look at it. Can this be altered by a casual accident? I am most grateful to you for the time you have spent and would buy you a drink if I could but basically, though I have learnt a great deal, I am still in the same situation. If you can think of anything else?? Regards, Eddiec.

Sea Urchin 13:55 06 Nov 2008

What people are telling you is to UNTICK Auto Arrange - and you can then place the icons where you want them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?