desktop icons obly appear as placeholders

Paul2008 08:43 18 Apr 2009

Hi folks
Running XP SP3, AMD Daulcore 4850e, 3.23 recognised RAM.
About every 10 days when I boot my 24 desktop icons appear only as placeholders - except Recycle bin - and the system stops loading and the task bar just has 3 blue rectangles. The system loads properly after pressing the reboot button.
System is 3 months old and has been doing this since the first I brought it home.
Any ideas what is causing this and how can I fix it?
Thanks
Paul2008

rawprawn 08:49 18 Apr 2009

Try TweakUI, if I remember rightly there is a "Repair Icon" option
click here

Graphicool1 10:05 18 Apr 2009

From what you said your PC is, very much still under warranty. If it's been playing up like this from the word go! Have you or why haven't you got in touch with the manufacturer or the shop where you bought it.
My suggestion is, if rawprawn's solution doesn't work, before doing anything more drastic check out the warranty and what it cover's before you end up doing something that may make it void. :¬]

Paul2008 11:07 19 Apr 2009

Thanks guys for your advice.
I haven't tried the Tweak yet but I would like to know why this happens.
Does this show a hardware or a software fault?
Repair guy in the shop I bought it from (own build) said "I have the same on mine - blame Microsoft".
This is also a replacment system for one that gave me a lot of problems.
Paul2008

rawprawn 13:05 19 Apr 2009

"Repair guy in the shop I bought it from (own build) said "I have the same on mine - blame Microsoft".
That is not a satisfactory response from a supplier who is still responsible for that machine.
You should pursue the matter, and get him to resolve the problem while it is under guarantee.
Microsoft are not to blame, his attitude is unacceptable.

Graphicool1 14:59 19 Apr 2009

It's the 10 day cycle that's bothering me. Download and run the free trial version (free for personal use) of 'MalwareBytes AntiMalware' click here & 'Spyware Terminator' click here It's free, they don't have a paid for version
& 'Avast Antivirus' free for home use version click here

Graphicool1 15:06 19 Apr 2009

Download and run this first...
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?