Desktop icons on the move!

cocteau48 14:23 21 Jan 2007

Out of the blue my desktop icons are re-arranging themselves at every reboot.I have downloaded a Layout .dll file which,right clicking the recycle bin,lets me save and restore the desired layout,but it is yet another unnecessary click. I thought that there was a function within Windows that lets you lock the icons in place but I cannot remember how to do it.
Any ideas please.

powerless 14:28 21 Jan 2007

Which version of Windows?

SANTOS7 14:29 21 Jan 2007

To lock your desktop icons into place, first arrange it carefully the way you want it to be, then open up the registry editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD Value name NoSaveSettings and press the Enter key. Right-click on the new NoSaveSettings item and select Modify. Enter 1 in the Value data box. After this, whenever you restart Windows, your settings will return to their current state.

cocteau48 15:09 21 Jan 2007

SANTOS7
Thanks for the input but please excuse my confusion.
When I get to "DWORD value" if right or left click on it I get an entry into the registry which reads:
(New value#1)
Where do I go from there please?
By the way it is XP.

SANTOS7 15:17 21 Jan 2007

to the pub!!!
or leave value as 1, close all pages back to your desktop,job done..

cocteau48 15:42 21 Jan 2007

SANTOS7
No pub for me!
That does not appear to do the trick.

SANTOS7 15:49 21 Jan 2007

Right click desktop select, arrange icons by,select lock web items on desktop..

cocteau48 16:12 21 Jan 2007

SANTOS7
No joy there either.
I have even removed the Layout.dll file in case that was causing some sort of conflict but to no avail.
Might have to just live with this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017