Desktop Icons disappear for 3 secs then back again

AngeTheHippy 07:50 03 Jun 2007

Morning Chaps, something is happening that I don't know how to remedy. Very often throughout the day, when I oh, say, click for a program to load or even close an open window, all the desktop icons disappear then reload within about 2-3 seconds! It's sending me nuts. Anyone else had this? Did you fix it? Know WHY it happens? I'd love to know...

AngeTheHippy
xx

BT 07:57 03 Jun 2007

I get the same problem at times, usually when starting up in the morning. I thought that perhaps it was because Windows hadn't finished loading in all its various bits, but it still happens occasionally when I give it plenty of time to sort itself out.

wolfie3000 08:01 03 Jun 2007

This happens to me also, but i put it down to having custom icons on my desktop.

Im not sure what causes it maybe its the desktop reloading the icon images.

Its never affected the way my pc runs so i just put up with it.

AngeTheHippy 08:01 03 Jun 2007

mmm - mine's through the whole time I'm powered up, be it 10 minutes or 3 hours. VERY annoying. As a thought, I've just lowered the refresh rate from 85 hertz to 75 hertz to see whether that helps.

AngeTheHippy
xx

wolfie3000 08:06 03 Jun 2007

You might want to consider downloading Object dock as this tidies up your icons onto one bar.

Heres what it looks like on my desktop.
click here

Download here.
click here

Technotiger 08:26 03 Jun 2007

Hi, my desktop icons similarly 'refresh', but only for a split-second ... it is probably relevant that my refresh rate is 60hz!

try
click here
item 195 right hand side

VoG II 08:39 03 Jun 2007

Try IconCache click here

BurrWalnut 08:42 03 Jun 2007

This is because the ShellIconCache file has reached its limit of 500 entries.

To stop this, go to Start, Run, type regedit and navigate to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer. Click Edit, New, String Value. Name it MaxCachedIcons and then right-click and Modify the value to 2000.

Backup the registry or create a system restore point first just in case you have finger-problems.

AngeTheHippy 09:19 03 Jun 2007

lots of possibilities here! woolfie3000 - I've got a lot of icons on my desktop, and although the image you've shown me looks very nice & tidy, well.... I just 'aint tidy!Mind you, could be useful, will prob d/load Interesting site you directed me to, "THE RAVEN" - I've d/loaded as suggested, not installed yet. VoG™ - bit technical for me, mate. BurrWalnut - mmm - also a bit techyy for me, but as this is very reverseable, think I'll have a bash at this one.

Thanks all of you so much for helping.

AngeTheHippy
x
x
x
x
x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?