Desktop icons changed to be all the same

NewForestAl 09:41 21 Jul 2009

On my XP desktop all the icons have been changed to be Adobe icons and clicking on any of them tries to open the file in Adobe.

Tried the file types menu in windows explorer but a lot of the file types have dissappeared (e.g. all the MS Office ones).

Does anyone have any idea of how tyo recover from this?

Technotiger 09:50 21 Jul 2009

Try a System Restore back to when all was ok.

NewForestAl 10:43 21 Jul 2009

No system restore points exist for some reason.

Tried a malware scan but got no hits.

Looks like I may have to reinstall Windows again.

Technotiger 11:34 21 Jul 2009

Before doing that - try un-installing Adobe. You can always re-install later if wanted.

lotvic 11:48 21 Jul 2009

sounds like your icon cache is corrupted
more info click here click here

rdave13 12:25 21 Jul 2009

Try 'restore desktop icons and taskbar' number 195 right hand side; click here

NewForestAl 11:14 22 Jul 2009

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sorry for any delay but I am having to read these at work and then go home to try them out. This is due to a separate fault on my internet connection. I will get back to you when I have tried them out.

NewForestAl 08:19 24 Jul 2009

Well I tried all these suggestions and nothing worked, however, I accidently found some more information. It appears that it is the file associations which have been corrupted as clicking on any of these icons tries to open the file in Acrobat Reader.
I had not tried this before but did it by accident yesterday. When I looked at the file types a lot of them were missing e.g. all the MS Office ones and pdf.
Looks like I will definitely have to reinstall windows but I do not understand why it happened in the first place. As far as I am aware I had not installed anything between when it last worked and when it failed.

rdave13 09:10 24 Jul 2009

Try the ICO file association fix here; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?