Desktop Icons

rjp492 12:06 31 Oct 2008

Hi,

My desktop icons have disappeared and also, I can no longer right-click on my desktop. This is the first time that this has ever happened.

I still have my start button and taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and by right-clicking on the taskbar I have at least managed to add the desktop toolbar to my task bar.

I have also run a full virus scan/check and that came back clean, so your help and advice would be invaluable as to how to return my desktop icons.

I hasten to add I haven't done anything out of the ordinary recently, no downloads or anything like that, only a defrag and clean-up.

tks in advance

Rob

Clapton is God 12:08 31 Oct 2008

System Restore?

Martin12 12:12 31 Oct 2008

Have a look in explorer and see if your icons are in the desktop folder.
Or in C drive go to documents and settings/your user name/desktop and if they are still there you may be able to copy and paste them in as a "workaround".

rdave13 12:32 31 Oct 2008

Try number 195, right hand list; click here

rjp492 12:49 31 Oct 2008

'Clapton is God' have tried a system restore, to no effect.

'Martin12' I should add that I have tried right-clicking on an application (word for instance), and sending it to the desktop, but I still do not see it, I know they must be there because when I click on start, it tell me there are 2 Word shortcuts.

sinbads 13:33 31 Oct 2008

is this the same when you start in safe mode ?

Switcher 18:58 31 Oct 2008

When you right click on the Task Bar "Show the Desktop" should be ticked. If not no Icons appear

rjp492 10:19 03 Nov 2008

Sinbads, I can see all of my icons when I run my PC up in safe mode.

Switcher; I have tried right clicking my task bar and selecting the show the desktop option, still nothing.

I should also add that when I click on 'start' and try selecting my 'control panel' option my machine freezes, as it does when I try other options as well.

birdface 12:10 03 Nov 2008

Have you tried right clicking anywhere on the screen and tick show desktop icons.

rjp492 17:06 03 Nov 2008

'Buteman' I have tried right-clicking on my desktop and nothing happens, no menu appears as would normally do.

There must be something stopping it displaying the proper desktop, I can right-click on say the microsoft word icon on my start menu and send it to the desktop and my pc will aknowledge that it has done, because in my start menu next to word will be a figure in brackets telling me how many shortcuts I have created for it, but I just can't physically see it on my desktop.

Annoying or what!!!!!!

rjp492 14:30 07 Nov 2008

I still have not been able to cure my problem of no desktop icons, but I have managed to find a way round it, if it is of use to anyone else.

all I did, and I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, was to create a new user through my control panel, and give that new user admin rights as well, and yest that brought all my icons for this new user. Now I can just ignore the other user and carry on with the new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?