Desktop icons

addwon 22:13 03 Jan 2006

I would like to remove the boxes which surround the desktop icon titles can anyone help (XP)

hzhzhz 22:37 03 Jan 2006

To get rid of the text box below the icon on your desktop wallpaper in XP you need to make one setting change. Click on the start button. Go to Setting\Control Panel\System. Click on the Advance tab. Click on the Settings button under performance. Click on the the Visual Performance Tab and select custom. Then check "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop." Then click OK twice and close the control panel and the text boxes are gone. Not tried it myself!.

Skyver 22:39 03 Jan 2006

Control Panel/System, click Advanced tab, click Settings under the Performance heading, scroll to the bottom of the list and tick `Use drop shadows for icon labels`.

addwon 23:30 03 Jan 2006

hzhzhz and skyver
Thanks,but it didnt work,all boxes were ticked

Skyver 23:35 03 Jan 2006

Have you tried selecting the Best Performance option, allowing XP to reset the display, then selecting Best Appearance again?

addwon 00:16 04 Jan 2006

Skyver
tried your suggestion,but no luck thanks anyway

DieSse 00:45 04 Jan 2006

Right click on the desktop - go to *Arrange Icons By* - and untick *Lock Web Items on Desktop*

addwon 11:35 04 Jan 2006

Further to my request for help in removing the boxes which surround the desktop icons, I notice that provided the desk top is a plain colour,any colour. the boxes are not visible,however if a picture is selected as background the boxes are again visible ,can anyone offer an explanation.

DieSse 13:56 04 Jan 2006

Did you try what I suggested - for absolute sure, if you tick as described, the boxes appear - untick they go away.

Hamish 14:19 04 Jan 2006

Try click here or Google for Desktop icons

addwon 15:33 04 Jan 2006

DieSse
Sorry for the delay,yes I have tried your suggestion without success, have you any further thoughts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?