Desktop icons

yahwob 14:37 25 Oct 2005

Hi, this question is so silly I'm almost embarrased to ask it!

How do I arrange the desktop icons how I like them rather than have them auto arranged for me. I currently have some nice new wallpaper showing a scenic view but I currently have all my icons running through the middle of it. I'd rather move the icons around the edge of the screen but every time I try and drag one it just snaps back to where it was as soon as I let go of the mouse button.

I know all about auto arrange, grids and by date, name etc but whichever option I choose by right clicking I can't seem to move the icons away from the standard line up in colums from the left.

Not a crucial point but it just annoys me that I can't figure this one out.

PaulB2005 14:38 25 Oct 2005

Uncheck Auto Arrange

yahwob 14:41 25 Oct 2005

Sorry but thats the first thing I did, dosen't make the slighest bit of difference.

rawprawn 14:43 25 Oct 2005

After you uncheck auto arrange, drag them to where ever you want them and they should stay there.

yahwob 14:44 25 Oct 2005

That's the whole point, they don't! Auto arrange is not checked and they still snap right back to where they were when I try and move them.

rawprawn 14:45 25 Oct 2005

PS Tick "Align to grid" if you want nice straight lines.

splork 14:53 25 Oct 2005

One of these might help click here

SANTOS7 14:58 25 Oct 2005

Pending how many icons you have why not move them to your systray leaving your desktop clear to get the full effect of your wallpapers...

rawprawn 15:00 25 Oct 2005

Try System restore to when they were OK, or run a system file check. Start/Run and type sfc /scannow
You will need your XP CD

splork 15:06 25 Oct 2005

It is true to say, with all the auto-arrange options off, one should be able to move the icons anywhere, maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves. You're not running any desktop wallpaper management software are you?

yahwob 15:11 25 Oct 2005

No wallpaper management programm, too many icons to move into taskbar and it seems a bit over the top to do a full system check.

It's just frustrating that something that should be so simple isn't!

Thanks for all your replies so far :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?