Desktop Icons

steveho 09:47 04 Oct 2003

I tried to save a web page shortcut to my desktop which didn't work and somehow now the text under each desktop icon is inside a big blue box!! Ive have tried everything to get rid of this.... Also,some of the icons are surrounded by a blue outline. Can someone please help me return my desktop to normal,so each icon is normal,and the text under each icon is not in a box????

MAJ 10:00 04 Oct 2003

Which operating system are you using, steveho?

steveho 10:31 04 Oct 2003

I am using windows xp

MAJ 10:50 04 Oct 2003

Go to Control Panel, double click the System Icon, click the Advanced tab, in the Performance section click the settings button, click the Visual Effects tab and scrol down and make sure the entry for "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is ticked.

steveho 11:04 04 Oct 2003

Thanks for response, I have tried that but it's still the same, would I need to restart my computer to make the changes effective ?
Steve

AubreyS 11:05 04 Oct 2003

Hi steveho. If Maj's suggestion doesn't work try this.

Right click desktop > Properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web > and then take the tick out of Lock Desktop Items and OK it.

Let us know how you get on.

MAJ 11:22 04 Oct 2003

Or you could download "TweakUI for XP" which has a "Repair Icon" option. click here

MAJ 11:23 04 Oct 2003

Yes, restart your computer after making the changes.

Mad Boy 11:27 04 Oct 2003

i believe if you press CTRL+Alt+Delete, end Explorer, press cancel then click the following end task button saves you restarting windows completely. Refreshes a few things.

steveho 12:32 04 Oct 2003

Thanks all for you responses, I have fixed it now,AubreyS was on the right track, I found an article at Microsoft that stated that an Active Desktop could be the problem. To fix it I went to desktop properties/Customise Desktop/Web Tab/then deleted the offending web page shown there. So back to normal now, It wasn't 'PC threatening' but it was getting on my nerves.
Thanks again all.
Steve

AubreyS 20:15 04 Oct 2003

Hi Steve. I'm glad that you managed to sort it out. I had the same problem and what I suggested you do is what I did and it worked. I think you did the same in a different way. Good luck. A.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone