desktop icon, start bar not showing

Star Lord 10:11 14 Jun 2009

This seems to be a common problem, and I guess its my turn to have it. I have no desktop icons or start bar. I have to use task manager to open a file and only some will open. I have searched the net for a few days looking for a solution but non seem to work. I found this on a thread on this forum, same problem

"When I turn on my PC all I get is my desktop picture but no icons, The start bar is not there. I cant access my programs. When I turn on my PC the Windows XP screen comes on then it goes to the desktop picture. It was working fine before this happened"

but non of the stuff worked when I tried it. I can not get into msconfig, system resorts or sfc/scannow. I also can not get into my computer or control panel. also some of the folders are showing as white sheets of paper if you know what i mean, they are not the usual yellow folder.

PS when I tried to open My computer it asked which program I wanted to use to open it. have some files been deleted. some how. I also looked at doing a repair install of xp but, from what the screen shots showed it would clear all my current software. not really a repair job.

sorry to be a pain, but i could do with some help on this one.

cheers, hope you can help.

Sea Urchin 10:16 14 Jun 2009

Have you tried this from Kellys Korner - line 195 right hand side?

click here

birdface 10:17 14 Jun 2009

Maybe try safe mode [just keep tapping F8] and try last good configuration or system restore.

In normal mode just press the windows logo on the keyboard.That gets you into start all program.Use your keyboard arrows to navigate to where you want.
Help & support and click system restore.See if that works.

Star Lord 10:21 14 Jun 2009

sorry, but I have tried both of them and they both don't see to work, thanks for having a look.

could it be that some system files are some how deleted, i can get into msconfig and there is no task bare to do start, run and any other option that I may be able to enter. i was a bit worried when i tried to open my computer and it asked me which program I want to use and the icon for my computer is a white blank sheet

birdface 10:27 14 Jun 2009

I read somewhere if you can get into Task Manager.If iexplore.exe or explorer.exe Was not running you could add it on.But I may have got it wrong.I would not try it unless someone can come up with the proper information as whether it would help you or not.And what program you would need to load.

Star Lord 10:34 14 Jun 2009

right now any help will, do as I can't do much and would like to get back to normal ASAP

please keep trying

birdface 10:37 14 Jun 2009

Maybe a look through this thread might help.
click here

birdface 10:44 14 Jun 2009

Or this.

WINDOWS EXPLORER PROBLEM

Getting out of trouble by creating a new task Not sure if this works with Vista

Now just "occasionally" you may end a process, or terminate a program, and then you lose everything! By this I mean you just have a desktop but NO task bar at the bottom of the screen and NO icon's on the desktop.

If this happens then start up the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear

--------------------------------------------------
Now that is only a temporary solution as far as I could make out if you reboot you have to do it all again.But maybe it will help until you can get some good information from elsewhere.

Star Lord 10:52 14 Jun 2009

buteman, your second thread was good and I will give it a shot, my only problem is that the second computer I have has vista on it. i assume the explore exe is not the same, am I correct. if this is the case i am stuck. is there a site I can download explorer exe from?

I tried your last thread but got nothing, typed explorer.exe in to new task in task manager and got nothing.

I have aslo tried line 195 in Kellys Korner and I get this message "can't find scrip engine 2vbscrip" for script "c:\documents and settings\desktop\xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall(2).vds

birdface 11:07 14 Jun 2009

Better waiting until someone else can help.
or maybe try this.

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

Assuming no other viruses / adware / spyware / malware are interfering, the Windows desktop should load fine now.

Star Lord 11:28 14 Jun 2009

buteman, I get about this far

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

I don't have a windows NT

I have windows and windows 3.1 Migration Status, bot have sub folder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?