Desktop Icon to Log Into PCA Site Automatically

Taff36 11:02 27 Aug 2005

Many moons ago there was a post about creating a shortcut on the desktop that automatically started IE and logged you straight into the forum. I`m sure many used it and could paste the "target" for me.

My laptop went "belly up" during the week and although I backed up all my essential documents I lost all my favourites etc. Please bear with me - this could be one of many posts over the long weekend!

mattyc_92 11:06 27 Aug 2005

Right-click desktop->New->Shortcut.

Type in http:// www. pcadvisor.co.uk (without the spaces) and click Next. Type in a file-name and select "Finish".

Now just double-click and you are on PCA. You will need to type in your email address and password and select "remember me". From then on, just click "Logon" and you will be logged into the server.

Or am I miss understanding the problem?

Audeal 11:55 27 Aug 2005

Taff36: "Many Moons Ago" I sent out several Icons to members who requested them. So if you will e-mail me (Click on the yellow folder) I will send you the link plus a Desktop Icon which I made up myself. Just click it and you will be signed in automatically, no fuss, not typing, just a click.

Taff36 13:14 27 Aug 2005

Fruit Bat - That`s the one! Thanks.

Audeal - I`m intrigued so I`ll take you up on that offer.

Taff36 10:18 29 Aug 2005

The click here`s are h t t p : / / w w w. - Cut and paste the rest - sorry!

Stuartli 10:18 29 Aug 2005

If you have Firefox you can drag and drop the PCA logon page URL to the Desktop and Rename it to suit your purpose (just in the same manner you create new Bookmarks).

Stuartli 10:21 29 Aug 2005

..the same manner you create new Bookmarks I mean, of course, dragging and dropping the Address Bar's favicon/URL to the Desktop (in the way it's done for adding to bookmarks)...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?