Desktop Excel Module

Jeep129 13:11 14 Jan 2004

Hi.

Have created a comprehensive s/s and would like it to be on the desktop and running independently.

Any suggestions or ideas where to gain this information?

Big Elf 15:39 14 Jan 2004

What does it do?

VoG II 23:19 14 Jan 2004

You will have to give us a lot more information!

What is the Excel program doing, what do you mean by "running independently", etc.

Big Elf 23:24 14 Jan 2004

I was thinking along the the line that he may need the Excel Viewer from click here

VoG II 23:28 14 Jan 2004

I was thinking along the lines of he/she needs to explain what they mean. Baffled.

VoG II 18:47 15 Jan 2004

via e-mail

Firstly, thanks for your time. The s/s is a financial planner that contains 7 or 8 worksheets, which in turn contain some fairly complex formulae and look-up tables. I'd like to be able to make it into a 'stand-alone' executable that could be run regardless of whether the user has Excel on their machine or not. Any ideas?

========================================

Have you tried saving it as a web page?

Please reply by adding a new response, not via e-mail which is for private correspondence between members.

Big Elf 18:59 15 Jan 2004

I'll bow to the wisdom of VoG in this but I don't think this is possible. The viewer available from MS is just that, a viewer, it doesn't allow changes to be made.

Big Elf 19:01 15 Jan 2004

Sorry, missed the bit about a web page. Wouldn't you need to have some sort of database running in the background though to record and save the changes?

Taran 19:29 15 Jan 2004

I'm nowhere near VoG for Excel programming.

I do quite a lot of integrated Office applications though, and for general Office integration you can OLE [Object Linking and Embedding] and DAO [Data Access Objects] different Microsoft program files into one another: Excel file embedded into Word for example.

Although I have and use the runtime for Access that allows you to compile and disturbute Access driven programs as a standalone executable whether people have the parent program or not (costs a litle over a thousand pounds) I have never seen a couterpart product for Excel.

There are aspects of the Office Developer Edition that are directly useful to Excel driven apps - MSGraph springs to mind - but it still requires the person running your end program to have a licensed copy of Excel installed.

I have seen some middleware products that wil allow Excel output integration and embedding into other document formats, but this is static data - normally charts and graphs - and cannot be manipulated.

The short answer from me is as above - if there is a method of distributing Excel applications without the parent program I'd like to know about it.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?