Desktop displaying some Default Icons

patkinson 08:34 16 Jan 2006

Some of the icons on my Desktop have switched to their default display.

This has only just happened after doing some virus and widows updating. Only some of the desktop icons are affected e.g. Nokia PC Suite, Itunes & Roxio Easy Media Creator. One other icon is sometimes there and then its not. It's as if a limit has just been reached.

I used Restore and the icons came back. But after a while having to repeat updating, the problems returned.

I notice that the proper icons are there in the Program Files folder, but not on the Desktop.

How do I get the correct icons displayed back on the Desktop?

patkinson 08:38 16 Jan 2006

I've tried a suggestion to rename IconCache.db and so rebuild the icon database to no effect.

I've also tried the repair in Tweakui in PowerToys.

I have Windows XP.

Methedrine 08:39 16 Jan 2006

Right click on the icon you wish to change and left click "Properties". Near the bottom of the window that appears, click "Change Icon" and browse to the folder with the icon that you want to use.

patkinson 09:04 16 Jan 2006

I was reluctant to do this without knowing the possible cause, however I did as you suggested by hunting down the Target executable file in 'Program Files' and the icon was there to pick. So job done. Perhaps I shouldn't worry too much why unless it happens again.

Methedrine 09:30 16 Jan 2006

Happy to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?