desktop data cables

Liza 23:54 20 Jan 2010

I have always had problems with connecting IDE data cables because the slave connector wont reach the cd/dvd/drives. I have an Antec Sonata case with the cd drives on the front and the hd drives in a cubicle below or by the side within the case. So I have had the ide data cable connected on motherboard and attached to cd as secondary master and to dvd secondary slave while the primcary master cable was connected to motherboard and then to hd as primary master and to second hd as primary slave. This seemed to work but I have suddenly observed my cd and dvd are not showing in bios and my creative sound is not working. What does one do when connection fails please. Liza

DieSse 00:03 21 Jan 2010

"This seemed to work"

And in fact is the correct way to connect them.

If the devices are not shown in the BIOS (and you've made no recent changes in this area) -

First - check the BIOS settings are still correct

Second - remove the secondary IDE cable and refit it (in case of poor connections)

Third - try with each device in turn removed from the cable (a bad device may prevent them both from being detected).

Fourth - try a new IDE cable.

Liza 15:47 22 Jan 2010

Thank you DieSse. I checked the cable and it was ok. But after tooing and froing I finally found what was causing the disappearing CDRom/DVD setup. One of the wires attached to the drive's power plug got caught in the data socket on the motherboard. When I pulled it out the computer screamed so loudly that I thought that's it time to buy a new computer. I shut the case and restarted and back came my drives on the bios but sound was still playing up so I did all sorts of things even removed the card but still no joy then I clicked sam to speak on the sound setup and there was speech. For the life of me I dont know what it was! I am clicking resolved. Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache