Desktop Cleanup wizard went wrong

oo7juk 23:14 14 Jan 2010

Hi,

My desktop was getting a bit busy so I decided to run the desktop wizard.

It only found about 5 items to clean up so I ran the wizard and it moved them to the "Unused" folder it created.

Now the problem - I decided to copy all the other folders/programs I didn't use much and then deleted the folders/programs from which I just copied from the desktop. I also emptied the recycle bin to fully clean my system

When I opened the "unused" folder and tried to run a file it didn't work due to not locating exe file. The same happened when I opened a folder and the contents were missing.

I tried a system restore, but it never worked.

Many thanks.

michaelw 08:37 15 Jan 2010

Did you try the restore in safemode?

Sea Urchin 10:09 15 Jan 2010

To be fair the Desktop Cleanup Wizard didn't "go wrong" - it left those files on the desktop. You need to know which icons are shortcuts and which are actual executable programs before deleting them.

oo7juk 10:50 15 Jan 2010

michaelw - No I didn't try in safe mode.

Sea Urchin - Yes my fault I'm afraid, just need to get the files back now.

Thanks,

john bunyan 10:58 15 Jan 2010

Worth downloading and trying Recuva (I think) asap. It should find files if not already overwritten.
click here

oo7juk 12:44 15 Jan 2010

Hi John - tried that program, unfortunately my folders containing mp3 etc are nonrecoverable.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Woolwell 14:53 15 Jan 2010

I'm a bit puzzled - where were your MP3 folders? On the desktop or just desktop links to folders?
Which OS?

oo7juk 15:25 15 Jan 2010

Woolwell - They were on the desktop.

Woolwell 15:33 15 Jan 2010

Too late now but that is not the best place to keep them. My Music folder is better. Don't suppose you had a back-up? Good idea to have an external drive with this sort of thing backed up on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache