Desktop is blank, only the picture, no icons

worf007 23:57 19 Aug 2008

When I turn on my PC all I get is my desktop picture but no icons, The start bar is not there. I cant access my programs. When I turn on my PC the Windows XP screen comes on then it goes to the desktop picture. It was working fine before this happened. I have recently had a new hard drive installed and windows reinstalled but it was working perfectly

rdave13 00:02 20 Aug 2008

Have a look here; click here .Instructions near heading and try number 195 right hand column.

Stuartli 00:06 20 Aug 2008

Try a System Restore on a date when it was working correctly.

Also ensure that F11 hasn't been toggled to enlarge the viewing area and thus hiding the Talk Bar and Tool Bar.

rdave13 00:11 20 Aug 2008

Use ctrl+alt+delete to bring up task manager, then under file click on new task(run) and type c:/, this shoud enable you to get to your programs folder.

SteveWH 00:49 20 Aug 2008

Hve you tried right clicking on the desktop-view-show desktop icons and is your task bar set to auto hide. Just a thought.

kdt 08:34 20 Aug 2008

I had similar problem 2/3 days ago & Technotiger/rdave13 link worked on my son in law's pc...use ctrl+alt+delete for task manager.
click file & type in new task click here which will take you to that site and scroll down to 195 righthand column. click & download vbscript...run...then under shutdown of task manager click restart. It works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?