Desktop backgrounds default folder changed

tims31 08:59 28 Nov 2007

Need some help on this one please.

I installed a program that changed the desktop backgrounds for ones in a folder selected but didn't like it so uninstalled it. Unfortunatly, the folder I selected for it to use had hundreds of pictures in it and now the default folder that windows goes to when selecting desktop in display properties is that one and it takes ages to display the list of images. Does anyone know how to change the folder back to the original default one. When I click browse it goes straight to my pictures folder.

Help please.

Technotiger 09:33 28 Nov 2007

Try a System Restore back to before you changed things.

tims31 11:35 28 Nov 2007

No that makes no difference.

tims31 14:39 28 Nov 2007

No. If I navigate to the default windows pictures (c:win/web/wallpaper...) and select one of those it just places the picture in the list that is already there. It seems to be defaulting to my 'My Pictures' folder which obviously has a lot of images in and when selecting 'desktop' in display properties it loads all of these images up. Could it be a default setting in the registry somewhere?

Technotiger 14:49 28 Nov 2007

Hmm, maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand where the 'web' bit comes from, in relation to where the background pictures are shown. One has to go through Customize Desktop to get to web. My pics are listed under the Desktop tab.
Maybe you need to change something in Customize Desktop?

Technotiger 14:52 28 Nov 2007

Or perhaps you might fix it by running the Desktop cleanup wizard.

Technotiger 15:27 28 Nov 2007

Hi, Marg the only ones that should be in 'web' are any web pages that one wants to display on the desktop - I have just one such page on mine, and of course Browse does take one to My Pictures as per normal.

tims31 18:06 28 Nov 2007

Unfortunatly the program I installed changed the default folder to my pictures and all the sub folders as well, which is probably what makes it so slow.

Customise desktop still starts up with the same My pictures folder which is what is causing the problem.

I'm sure there must be a Registry entry but all the ones I've tried didn't make any difference.

tims31 18:18 28 Nov 2007

I tried changing this entry but that has made no difference.

click here

Technotiger 18:33 28 Nov 2007

As a matter of interest, it might even help - what was the program which you installed?

tims31 18:38 28 Nov 2007

Wallpaper slideshow LT

click here

I have even reinstalled and tried changing the folder like that but no luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache