DESK TOP ICONS

Star Lord 00:26 01 May 2007

I'm not sure what I have done but all my desktop icons have been highlighted and now have a blue box under them. I tried system resorts but that does nothing.

I have gone into control pannel, when I select an icon it highlights any icons before the icon I have selected and opens the lot.

any ideas

MAJ 00:42 01 May 2007

Sounds like you have drop shadows switched off. Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced tab. In the 'Performance' section, click the 'Settings' button. On the 'Visual Effects' tab, scroll down and tick the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" option, click Apply and OK to exit.

Star Lord 00:56 01 May 2007

Well its got rid of one half of the problem, as now individual icons are selected in control pannel. However the desktop still has the same problem

MAJ 01:06 01 May 2007

Funny, I suspected the opposite. I thought it would fix the desktop problem, not the Control Panel problem. Try the 'old faithful' reboot, see if it helps.

rawprawn 09:50 01 May 2007

It's a while since I had XP and I have forgotten but Right click on the desktop and untick something like "Show Icons as WEB page" I know thats not exactly right but I don't have a mackine to look at. You need to untick WEB
I'm sure that is the problem.

Stuartli 10:10 01 May 2007

You probably need to choose white rather than blue for the background from the Desktop tab (right click on Desktop>Properties>Desktop tab>Colour).

Star Lord 20:47 01 May 2007

i've tried all of the above does any one have any other ideas.

control panel is fine, but the names of desktop icons still show in a blue box.

please advise

Diversion 21:08 01 May 2007

Do as MAJ says in his first post but in Visual Effects click the one at the top, Let Windows Choose What's Best For My Computer. With this setting all the items in the box below should be ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?