desk icons with arrow showing as shortcut

johnnyrocker 14:58 05 Jan 2009

not sure if i have explained it right but on boot up today all my programs have a little arow in one corner like a shortcut, basics like my computer,explorer,recycle bin etc not affected
xp pro sp3

johnny

DieSse 15:12 05 Jan 2009

That's exactly how they would normally be.

You don't normally have actual programs on the desktop - merely shortcuts to them.

johnnyrocker 15:15 05 Jan 2009

i may not have posted correctly but these arrows were not there last night so i think i may have a wrong answer as always been ok before

johnny

cocteau48 15:23 05 Jan 2009

These arrows can be removed using the Microsoft Powertoy - TweakUI
click here

DieSse 15:25 05 Jan 2009

If the arrows weren't there before, then a setting must have been changed from standard, to stop them being there. They are normally there - so that you know what is a shortcut and what isn't. Program icons are always (virtually) shortcuts. So OK is what they are now.

johnnyrocker 15:35 05 Jan 2009

the link takes one round and round pages but bo download but thanks for trying

johnny

Halmer 15:40 05 Jan 2009

approx eight one down under downloads on the right.

johnnyrocker 15:56 05 Jan 2009

thank you sorry to be a thicko what next?

johnny

DieSse 16:02 05 Jan 2009

If you get rid of the shortcut arrows, you won't know what is a shortcut and what isn't. So you run the risk of deleting something that you didn't mean to delete.

IMHO you should leave it the way it is now - which is the standard setting.

Otherwise download the TweakUI software and then run it. You will find a myriad settings, including one to show or hide the shortcut arrow.

johnnyrocker 16:08 05 Jan 2009

i have downloaded it but for the life of me cannot find the setting for desktop icons

johnny

BT 16:22 05 Jan 2009

Click the + sign next to 'Explorer' on the left hand side and then click on the 'Shortcut' word and it will appear in the right hand side pane. choose the one you want and click 'Apply'

The changes may not appear till you next restart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?