Descent Chart, CSS and validation errors

sheila.weston 09:17 01 Sep 2007

I am importing a Family History descent chart from Front Page 2000 into Front Page 2003. The generations are stepped to the right. The page shows up OK on the original website at click here although there are 52 Validation Errors, according to click here.

When I import into fp2003 there are many more CSS errors, although it *looks* OK. Why does it matter? I have never had any complaints about problems in reading these pages, although I would like to get it right.

Many thanks for any help.

Sheila

Eric10 13:04 01 Sep 2007

If a site does not validate then you are relying on the browser to overlook any mistakes and render the site correctly. Modern browsers make a very good stab at this but there are no guarantees, especially between different families of browsers such as IE and Firefox.
First, you should specify a Document Type Definition at the top of each page as this sets out the rules for how the page should be displayed. Since your site uses tables I would suggest HTML 4.0 transitional so your doctype would be:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "click here">
click here for more on Doctypes.

The eary errors relating to <meta name="Microsoft Theme" etc are because there is a space in the name. Replace the space with a hyphen"-" and this will then validate. e.g. "Microsoft-Theme".
Many of the other errors in validation come from using language="Javascript" which should be changed to type="text/javascript" which will do the same thing but will validate.
Errors relating to the <p> tag are caused by the <font> tag being specified outside of the paragraph tags. Move these inside the paragraph tags, not forgetting to move the corresponding </font> tags, and these errors will disappear also.
The one or two errors that remain should be self explanatory.

Eric10 13:10 01 Sep 2007

The forum sabotaged the Doctype I quoted by changing it to a "click here" link so just copy the appropriate doctype from click here. It's the middle one listed under HTML 4.01.

sheila.weston 17:49 01 Sep 2007

Problem! I have already got the following on my index page. Shouldn't all pages have the same?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "click here">
<html xmlns="click here">

The last line is not in the DOCTYPE description, presumably?

Eric10 20:22 01 Sep 2007

I can't see a doctype on the index page that's online or any of your other pages. All pages should have a doctype but your pages seem to be written as HTML rather than XHTML.

sheila.weston 21:10 01 Sep 2007

Ah. I have uploaded the fp2003 to a temporary URL while I play around with it. I am getting tons of help from someone in the States and keeping that site just for her viewing, but there are so many things which I don't understand that I am offloading some of them here!! I'll ask her about the doctype - I didn't realise how many there are!

I'll mark this page as resolved as you have widened my knowledge of doctypes and the validation errors.

many thanks

Sheila

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?