Dependency service or group failed to start

RWBCAM 17:04 02 Mar 2009

I'm helping my friend try to overcome a problem. He has a router with 3 PC's and a printer attached to the 4 ports. Two PC's are on XP but the latest is Vista 64bit.

After he set it up he was able to access the Internet ok but it soon stopped and the only way he can get it to work again is to restore the system back to the original settings. (He wondered if Windows update or something could be knocking it off track?).

Although the port light is showing on the router, when you type in http//:192.168.1.1, you can't reach the router. So we looked in Control Panel under network and the network connection is showing the error message: "Dependency service or group failed to start"

Something else unusual is that one of the "good" XP PC's flashed up an error message (yellow triangle with exclamation mark) saying that the Ip address conflicts with another system on the network, which we guess might be this Vista PC with no network connection.

Any thoughts gratefully received....Thanks

John B 17:32 02 Mar 2009
  RWBCAM 17:42 02 Mar 2009

Sorry John, the link won't work for me...my Ip address banned. Thanks anyway

John B 19:00 02 Mar 2009

refers to running cmd/sfc /scannow (windows file checker)which seemed to work for the people that posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?