DEP (Data Execution Prevention)

Les 00:38 15 Nov 2005

I wonder if anyone has come across a problem resulting in a box coming up on screen entitled as above.

When attempting to delete or move Mpegs out of or between folders this notice comes up, clicking Close causes a box to come up asking you to send details to Microsoft. Now, if I just shift this box to one side of the screen so that I can get at the file(s) I'm working with I can continue to successfully complete the operation - clicking the 'Don't send' button clears the screen so that you begin with a clear desktop again.

Going to Control panel/System/Advanced/ Performance Settings/Data Execution Prevention I find to Radio Buttons - one of the has to be chosen - you cannot turn them off.

Any ideas?

ACOLYTE 01:02 15 Nov 2005

You cant turn it off its built into the CPU,but you can add programs/services to the list to exclude them from DEP.

BurrWalnut 07:56 15 Nov 2005

To turn off DEP you have to change the boot.ini file. The easiest way is via Control Panel, System, Advanced, Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. Now the Edit button under System Startup and change /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff. Save the boot.ini file and OK your way out. Reboot the computer.

Now when you view the DEP setting, it will be greyed out. It is completely reversible by changing the boot.ini file back to the original.

Les 09:05 15 Nov 2005

Thanks to you both for the info.At the moment, Acolyte I have no programs listed in the box accessed in the control panel/ system........ section - the box, when it appears suggests that Windows Explorer has put it on screen. Another example, I suppose, that we are having our hands held by Microsoft 8-)). I've made a copy of your suggestion BurrWalnut and will have a look see after I have woken up - I'm a slow starter in the morning - though the kids say that is extending! Cheeky little so and so's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?