DELL Studio XPS - How much noise and power usage ?

CodeMeister 20:38 24 Nov 2008

Hello Everyone,

I am considering purchasing a Dell Studio XPS P.C. with the new Intel Core i7 processor.

I just wondered if anyone who owned one of these machines could please tell me how noisy they are and how much power they use.

The following article seems to be inconclusive.

click here

Thanks

MAT ALAN 20:42 24 Nov 2008

Probably silent most Dells are, i would pay more attention to the size of the PSU and the amount of memory you are going to have...

CodeMeister 21:09 25 Nov 2008

Thanks MAT ALAN

Are you suggesting that more RAM would reduce noise and power consumption ?

I can see that more RAM would probably lead to less demand on the hard disk.

MAT ALAN 21:28 25 Nov 2008

more RAM would reduce noise and power consumption

NO!!!

the link you supplied shows a customisable PC with the option to buy the base package then add upgraded components if you wish. if you look at the "tech specs" it shows it only has a 360w power supply which in my opinion is sadly under powered.
I also cannot see any way of upgrading this nor can i see any way of upgrading the VGA card..
I am sure there are better deals out there but we would need to know what you intend to use your PC for and your budget...

CodeMeister 22:07 25 Nov 2008

Hi MAT ALAN,

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to reply to my post.

The P.C. would primarily be used for Web Development with Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008, but I have absolutely no interest in gaming.

Budget is up to £1,500.

Thanks again for your help so far.

MAT ALAN 22:17 25 Nov 2008

click here

click here

Glad to help CodeMeister, the links are to alternative sites that might interest you as far as customising your PC to meet your needs, both sites are tried and tested on this forum ( i have bought from Arbico, faultless) a lot of the packages shown come with monitors as well, the Dell package did not.

CodeMeister 10:15 26 Nov 2008

Thanks MAT ALAN

I've currently got an old Dell Dimension Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, so I should imagine that the new Core i7 processors would have better power management and therefore use less electricity (when idling at least).

MAT ALAN 14:34 26 Nov 2008

click here

increased performance by 40% with NO increase in power consumption...

CodeMeister 16:48 13 Jan 2009

Thanks MAT ALAN

I'd still be interested to hear from anyone else who has this computer and can confirm whether it is as noisy as some are suggesting.

Some people have likened it to a leaf blower and a vacuum cleaner.

Apart from the reports of noise, it looks like a great little P.C.

CodeMeister 15:29 14 Jan 2009

Anyone else have any views on this new Dell P.C. ?

Belatucadrus 16:05 14 Jan 2009

Don't forget that the power consumption is going to depend to a large extent on how hard you're working the CPU. A PC that's assigned to heavy duty number crunching or video work will draw more power than an equivalent machine that's web browsing or word processing.
click here it's an old article, but still worth a read.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?