Dell Studio 540 with XP

briandy 19:25 27 Mar 2009

I bought a Dell Studio pc running Vista about five weeks ago and have had a long series of Vista problems since then. After two one and a half hour support calls the problems are still unresolved and Dell asked me what I would like to do. I said that ideally I would like to abort Vista and asked if they could supply me with a set of xp discs. The support techie said that it may be possible and went to talk to his supervisor but then came back and said that the machine was not compatible with xp. I don't understand why, as I thought any modern piece of hardware would run vista, xp or linux. Am I being too suspicious or is he right? It is an Intel quad core processor but I have no idea what the motherboard is but I did not think it mattered what the hardware was.

canarieslover 19:45 27 Mar 2009

What matters about the motherboard is the drivers that you need to enable XP to communicate with the controlling components may not be available. This is becoming more prevalent with newer machines, especially laptops. If the computer is really troublesome running Vista then I would keep pressing Dell for a solution to those problems. I have just bought a new machine, not Dell, that came pre-installed with Vista and I am not greatly impressed with the O.S. but I am gradually getting it to work the way I want to. What I am not having are any problems with the computer, its just different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017