Dell split hard drive ???

Bad Beagle 19:33 06 Sep 2008

Hi all,

I have an Inspiron 1300 which I bought new about a year ago with an 80GB hard drive. The drive appears to be split as a C and D drive, D is labelled as back up. I note that the comparative sizes of the two drives or drive areas ha changed over time. I have never used the D drive. Why is it set up like this and are there pros/cons ? Could I amalgamate it as one drive as I already have an external Freecom back-up.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:24 06 Sep 2008

D is labelled as back up.

Assuming your op system came preloaded then I suspect that D drive is the recovery partition.

lotvic 20:30 06 Sep 2008

Inspiron 1300
I suggest you read page 78 of your Owner's Manual before you decide to delete partition D
""Removing Dell PC Restore from the hard drive permanently deletes the PC Restore utility from your computer. After you have removed Dell PC Restore, you will not be able to use it to restore your computer’s operating system.
Dell PC Restore enables you to restore your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased your computer. It is recommended that you do not remove PC Restore from your computer, even to gain additional hard-drive space. If you remove PC Restore from the hard drive, you cannot ever recall it, and you will never be able to use PC Restore to return your computer’s operating system to its original state.""

Bad Beagle 20:33 06 Sep 2008

OK - that's quite interesting - will check the manual... but windows explorer shows the D drive to contain no folders ???

lotvic 21:05 06 Sep 2008

Are you sure that (D:) is a partition on the Hard drive?
as the Restore is usually on a Hidden partition.

What Drive letter is your CD/DVD ? and your External Freecom

Have a look in Computer Management to see how it is divided up
right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management

On mine - a Desktop pc - Hard drive is split into 3
The (EISA) is for the Dell Diagnostics
the (Unkown Partition) is the Hidden PC Restore
and (C:) is the (System)

(D:) is DVD
(E:) is CD ROM

Do you have 'show hidden files and folders' ticked?
Hope that helps

Bad Beagle 09:49 07 Sep 2008

OK - have done the right click thing and there are four items described as partitions 1 of which is C: and another is D: the others d not have letters assigned but are described as Unknown partition and EISA configuration.
DVD is E: Freecom is F:

I'm still puzzled ???

lotvic 19:41 07 Sep 2008

"D is labelled as back up"
What program do you use for your backup?
The program may have created this partition for its own use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?