Dell shuts down on it's own

Lady Lara 19:51 10 Sep 2006

A colleague of mine, has a Dell PC and every so often it will turn itself off and you cannot do anything for about 1 hour or so (ie.. you cannot restart) as it wil not power up.... I thought it was the temperature but checks show this not to be the fault. We have removed all covers and put a fan on the back but still.... no joys? We have changed memory but still it powers off randomly with a varied wait before we can restart....

Any ideas before I format all and try total reinstall!!

Mark5001 19:57 10 Sep 2006

Check the PSU it sounds like that could be at fault. Very much like my problems a couple of months ago, changed PSU and all was well.

Lady Lara 20:15 11 Sep 2006

OK then... Its a Dell Dimension 5000. I am looking for a cheaper compatible PSU as money is stretched for this family... So far I have found £52... Can anyone suggest a suitable cheaper PSU?

LL

Lady Lara 17:35 27 Sep 2006

click here

This is the specs of the machine. Can someone please point me in the direction of a suitable PSU. Dell are quoting him £85

dwaynedibbly 17:42 27 Sep 2006

Read the post headline and thought, finally some good news.
What a disappointment to find its only another dodgy piece of kit.
Does sound like a PSU problem though.
We use Dells at work and a few have had similar problems. Turned out to be a bad batch of PSUs.

Lady Lara 15:33 03 Dec 2006

I bought a replacement PSU off ebay. Doesn't quite fit the dell box although it has all the same cables. Got is for £15 and not the £85 that Dell were after. I tried to power up but got a funny flashing amber light. Anyway I followed the Dell site advice and disconnected everything (HDD, CD, DVD etc) Then I noticed the 4 pin socket was not in the right way... I changed it, reconnected everything and hey presto.. One happy friend!!!!

Thanks everyone for helping

LL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017