Dell pcs and windows reinstallation

willo500 23:01 25 Aug 2006

Hi

I am considering buying a Dell desktop with XP but it used to be that Dell gave you a reintallation disk with the pc and now they do not. I wonder how you would reinstall windows if the need ever arose. I know I have done this with my current machine a couple of times.

Is there any other way of doing this which Dell now supply or do you have to buy another copy of windows if it goes wrong?

Thanks for your help

Willo

skidzy 23:18 25 Aug 2006

Ive bought from dell recently and if you ask for a windows disc and recovery disc,they will supply them at £5.00 each.Well thats what i got charged after a little haggling.

Also you will be able to make your own recovery disc from the system itself.

Hope this helps.

willo500 23:36 25 Aug 2006

Hi thanks for your help. I will haggle. Can you tell me how to make my own recovery disk please?

Willo

skidzy 09:46 26 Aug 2006

Once you have bought the system,and upon booting it up...you will be prompted to make a once only recovery disc.Once you have made the disc,you will be able to restore your computer at any time to factory settings.

Hope this helps.

Procrastinus 11:19 26 Aug 2006

You will find the recovery disc details at Programmes>Dell Accessories. I forget the exact name of the item as it is deleted once you have copied the info to your CD/DVD. Failing that you can go to Dell and they will do a System Restore back to the settings when you purchased it - a clean machine in both cases.

willo500 12:30 26 Aug 2006

thanks to all

willo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone