DELL PC will not boot unless FDD is connected

iqs 23:19 20 Jul 2008

Hi,

I was asked to install a new version of XP on a DELL OptiPlex GX240 .It was running an older version of XP.

The PC had not been used for sometime,and when it was switched on,the PC hung on the POST screen which offers two options.F2 to enter setup,F12 to enter Network setup,I think.

I did all the usual checks,it still would not boot.

The BIOS was recognizing the HDD and Optical Drive,and the boot order was correct.Like I said I went through the standard checks.

The only other thing that I could see that was not connected was the FDD.It was disabled in the BIOS,and was not a boot device.

I connected the FDD,and enabled it.

I don't know why,but the PC booted first time.I installed XP and all is well.

Out of curiosity I disabled the FDD when all was running correctly,and the PC refused to boot.

I'm not a fan of DELL PC's,but can anyone offer an explanation why the FDD must be connected for a successful boot ???

Cheers all

MsTechie 23:46 20 Jul 2008

As well as disabling the FDD; where it gives you the choice of disc sizes e.g 3.5" choose 'none' save changes and exit

woodchip 00:09 21 Jul 2008

Change the Floppy to Last boot Device in BIOS. Save settings before exit. It should then boot without the floppy. Also turn off Floppy seek

iqs 08:41 21 Jul 2008

MsTechie and woodchip,I already tried what you both suggested,the PC would not boot if the FDD is disabled,I set the FDD has the last boot device.

Its a weird one??????

Thanks for the suggestions.

iqs 20:16 21 Jul 2008

please,

Ditch999 20:39 21 Jul 2008

It must be written in the BIOS to halt if Floppy not detected. There is sometimes the option on the first page of the BIOS to "Halt on" You could change this to "No errors"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone