Dell PC and Sky BB.

rdave13 18:45 11 Sep 2009

Just need a few pointers please. There is a Dell desktop (don't know which model but pretty basic with onboard graphics and about 2 years old)which has been trojaned and virused to near death. I've been called to help (again) so this time it's going to be a restore to factory settings. Am I right in thinking that CTRL+F11 will give the option to restore on boot-up from the hidden partition?
Second question is, they have Sky BB and do I need to install with the disk that came with the BB package. Think that the original name and password are a thing of the distant past. Woe is me, that's another Saturday gone......

baldydave 19:32 11 Sep 2009

Hi,
Regarding the restore options i am pretty sure you do not need the ctrl key just pressing F11 or a F key (trial and error) should do it,that is if it has a built in restore partition as some dells shipped with a restore cd.
If it is a standard sky router just plug it in, the user name and password are "burnt" into router and cannot be changed so just plug in,no software/install cd needed unless you want to install the mcaffee security which is on the cd,my personal choice is not to install and use avast/avg. The only settings you need for sky router is wireless key (on router) for wireless laptop.

rdave13 19:39 11 Sep 2009

Thanks. Tried my laptop through ethernet connected to Sky's Netgear router but would not connect. Nothing recognised and as it asked for name and password I couldn't get the info from the owners.

baldydave 19:40 11 Sep 2009

sorry i was wrong,
Try to use Ctrl+F11 key when booting up. So start up the computer, then when you see the "Dell" logo, press and hold CTRL and then press F11. The Dell-specific Ctrl+F11 process is supposed to completely automate the restoration process, returning the hard disk to the state it was in when Dell shipped the computer.

ambra4 19:42 11 Sep 2009

Suggest you take a read at Dell Support Site first and print out the information that you need

before you do the restore

Restoring Your Computer’s Software to the Factory Settings

click here=

rdave13 19:42 11 Sep 2009

Thanks again. One step settled. I suppose then I'll have to use the CD BB set up from Sky to get the desktop to connect. At least then I'll be able to log on to the router?

rdave13 19:44 11 Sep 2009

Apology, it's an XP system.

ambra4 19:57 11 Sep 2009

PC Restore for Window XP

click here

rdave13 20:13 11 Sep 2009

That's sorted and confirmed. Thank you and baldydave.
The Sky BB 'issue' is the only thing left. Asking my brother in law about the name and password given by Sky left a very horrible look on his face. Reminded me of a blank sheet of paper.
Anyone using Sky BB can enlighten me of any problems when installing Sky for first time on a restored PC when original name and password has gone to the history bin?
I'm going to regret helping again; I know it.
Possibly bro' in law will have to 'phone Sky up for info? Would be greatful of any further advice as I've never used Sky BB (or Dell for that matter).

baldydave 20:14 11 Sep 2009

Rdave13,
Sorry if i am misunderstood,you do not need BB CD,just plugin in router to pc with ethernet cable and as long as you are still with sky bb it will work, you cannot alter username and password on sky router.Cd only needed if you want to install security software supplied by sky.
Just plug in router,then in top address bar type in
click here if hover your mouse cursor over click here it will give the address.
Please note there are not many settings you can alter on a sky router.

baldydave 20:18 11 Sep 2009

Sky routers are pre configured so that they are plug in and work,you do not need and sky will not give you the username and password,you have to use their router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone