dell ls not media carrier

alan2k1 16:41 06 Feb 2006

i have aquired a dell ls laptop it has no cd or floppy drive i do have a dell floppy i can connect to the printer port i do have a freecom usb cd drive

i have replaced the faulty hard drive in the laptop and now want to load xp but i can not figure out how to get it to boot from the usb cd drive i dont think it recognises the drive so early on

any ideas
thanks

alan

JWJH 16:44 06 Feb 2006

Check the bios for an option to boot from usb device, usually under "Advanced Configuration/Boot Sequence" or similar.

alan2k1 16:46 06 Feb 2006

thanks JWJH the only boot options are removeable devices lan hard drive and cd rom (which there is not )

JWJH 16:55 06 Feb 2006

Looks like XP was loaded with a recovery partition on the original hard drive. Try connecting your usb drive, inserting the XP CD, and changing the boot option to removable devices to see if it picks up the usb drive.

alan2k1 17:01 06 Feb 2006

i tried that it seems to me if i could get the bios to recognise the usb drive i would be ok

JWJH 17:03 06 Feb 2006

click here for some info from Dell, follow the link and enter the info required to see if it sheds any light.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?