dell latitude laptop/windows xp pro

dippydon 12:19 27 Jul 2007

10 year old pulled mains lead from laptop while it was running and we now have the following serious problem.
'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\windows\system32\config\system'
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
its an old laptop bought 2nd hand off a fella who upgraded to xp professional o/s,so no xp disk available.any help would be very much appreciated.

dippydon 18:41 27 Jul 2007

i,v spent the day reading similar problems with no luck.only acceptable answer seems to be to,'reset the bios to the default settings',but i cant understand the instructions to do so.dell latitude csx h500xt setup bios version a13.many thanks if any one can help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 27 Jul 2007

Download and make a boot CD or boot floppies from click here

or download and make disk for nfs for dos click here

once booted to the startup CD then you need to copy the system file from c:\windows\repair
to c:\windows\system32\config
reboot the PC on completion without the boot cd in and you should then be able to get back to windows.

Totally-braindead 18:59 27 Jul 2007

Only suggestion I have is to borrow a XP Pro disk from someone for the repair, any XP Pro disk will do as long as you use your serial number but it must be XP Pro, XP Home will not work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 27 Jul 2007

It maybe XP home as:

bought 2nd hand off a fella who upgraded to xp professional.

dippydon
to do a repair you need the same type of CD as is loaded on your laptop.

i.e If Home then need a home XP CD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 27 Jul 2007

OK its pro

Just reread the title.

I'll get my coat....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?