Dell Latitude Laptop woes

Mike D 12:45 26 Mar 2007

A friend has asked me to look at her laptop (Specs: P4 180/120Ghz, 256 Mb RAM, Radeon 7500 Graphics, 20GB HDD, WIndows 2000) in the mistaken belief that I know anything!

The laptop would not initially boot up and the diagnostics showed faulty memory. I have removed and reseated this (2 x 128 Mb sticks)and now Windows 2000 does try to startbut once the splash screen has displayed I get the foolowing error message:
"Stop: 0x0000007B,(0x8187A0F0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
If this is the first time that you've seen this screen restart your computer. Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed Hard Drives or Hard Drive Controllers. Check you hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer"

I cannot boot in safe mode or the the command promt to run CHKDSK and I do not know how to chewck for viruses with the PC in this state.

Help!

Mike

bennyhillslovechild 12:54 26 Mar 2007

Sounds like your have some corruption on the harddrive, I would suggest to boot the computer off the Windows CD and choose to go into Recovery Console and run the following command:

chkdsk c: /p

This will fix any disk corruption preventing you from booting.

Here is a reference to recovery console:

229716 Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
click here

You may have to go into bios and change the boot up settings to boot from CD first. Or you could try a repair install if Win 2000 offers that. Failing that a complete reinstall of windows 'may' do the trick.

Mike D 13:26 26 Mar 2007

Thanks for the answer. I had a feeling that I needed the Windows Disk, and therein lies the problem. This is a laptop which was purchased through the owner's husband's company and I don't think that disks were provided. At least I now know that I can tell her to either try the company's IT dept or a repair shop with a clear conscience.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?