Dell Latitude administrator problems

*Lorna* 19:15 08 Feb 2007

Good evening everyone,

My brother in law has given me his old laptop (Dell Latitude D610) as he has a new one through work, the only problem is it has very limited user access as I can't get logged in as an administrator. This didn't bother him as he only used it for surfing the web but I want to use it for college work and can't download any programs I need. He got it off eBay so contacting the original owner is a no go...

Does anyone have any advice/ideas/solutions?

Lorna :)

Why is contacting the original owner a 'no go'? You should be able to message him through eBay.

*Lorna* 19:19 08 Feb 2007

Hi Dave, the seller is no longer registered with eBay and even though my brother in law has kept they guys emails his address is just bouncing now.

If it has XP pro then try pressing ctrl + alt + delete twice at the welcome screen. This will give you a box where you can type the username and password in manually.

Put the username as administrator and leave the password blank. Many people are unaware of this hidden account so there is a good chance you'll be able to log in that way.

If it is XP home, boot into safemode by pressing F8 when the laptop is booting up and see if the hidden administrator account appears at the welcome screen.

*Lorna* 19:27 08 Feb 2007

Its XP pro... so I'll give the ctrl + alt + delete a go once I get home and let you know, cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?