Dell Laptop Upgrade

charles60 17:06 31 Mar 2011

I own a Dell 15 Inspron 1525 i have upgraded the memory and the OS to Windows 7 32 bit I am now thinking is it worth upgrading the hard drive side. Firstly can i fit a ssd drive and a normal hard drive into the same laptop as i only going to need a 60gb SSD drive for the Os or can only chose one or the other? thanks in advance for any help

onthelimit1 17:18 31 Mar 2011

For the cost of solid state, I'd opt for a larger normal, cheap HDD and clone the old one across.

GaT7 17:19 31 Mar 2011

I don't think it will be able to house 2 hard drives at the same time, but apparently you can replace the standard drive with a SSD - see click here.

Then you can get a USB enclosure/caddy (like click here) & use the standard drive as an external one perhaps. Make sure to get one that is compatible with your hard drive - IDE for IDE or SATA for SATA.

You could also join the Dell Support Forums click here & pose your query there. G

charles60 18:18 31 Mar 2011

Cheers Lads thanks for the Info :-}

robin_x 19:49 31 Mar 2011

You can replace your CD/DVD drive with a caddy and SSD or HDD.
But of course, you would have to change again to use optical discs or use an external CD/DVD drive.
It may be hot swappable I am not sure.

Dell's one may be discontinued but there are 3rd party ones.

The trick is finding the buggers. And correct one.
I want to get one at some point and have been looking around.
Also everyone refers to them differently.

"optical bay hard drive caddy"
click here

bay maybe MediaBay? or Upgrade Bay or other depending on manufacturer.

The advantage of course is much faster access compared to USB 2.0 external HDD.

Ashrich 22:03 31 Mar 2011

As the cost of SSD's are still high for only a small disk I would recommend a Seagate Momentus hybrid drive , this mixes a large spinning platter with a 4gb SLC Nand solid-state memory giving fast booting and a large amount of storage click here

Ashley ( ps , Hunting around may find better prices )

charles60 22:19 31 Mar 2011

thanks once again guys will look into it in May when I get back from Malaysia next mth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?