dell laptop shuts down

72horses 16:53 17 Feb 2008

Hi, I have a dell laptop that's about four and half years old and has windows xp. When I turn it on it will stay on for about five minutes or less and then shut itself off. If I try to turn it on right after it shuts down it will turn off while its trying to turn on. Don't think its overheating because of the short amount of time its on for. Any ideas? Thanks.

Al94 16:55 17 Feb 2008

Have you tried another power supply?

birdface 17:05 17 Feb 2008

Try safe mode and run your security programs on there if it works.[just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.]Clean out all the programs that you dont use in add remove.Run C Cleaner,

72horses 17:21 17 Feb 2008

ok, well now it won't turn on at all. when i press the power button the red battery light flashes and then goes out. but last i checked the battery was full and its plugged into a good power source. for the past few months though i've been having trouble with the power cord. it will be plugged in to the computer but won't be recognized by the comp. unless i turn the cord around or get it at a different angle. wonder if this has anything to do with it? can it be saved???

Michael_R 17:42 17 Feb 2008

I had the same problem with a latitude. It turned out to be the power card, inside the laptop.

72horses 17:48 17 Feb 2008

how do i fix it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?