Dell Laptop Screen Failure

Donald-1338933 17:12 17 Feb 2009

Hey

First time user - hoping for some help.

I've got a Dell Inspiron 630M laptop and had it for around 3years running XP home. I have upgraded the Ram to 2GB and the HDD to 250GB so the laptop runs perferctly (from a performance point of view) and it means I can even do video/audio/graphics editing with no real problems.

I have however had the replace the laptop screen twice due to it failing (both times after not even a year of use - unfortunately I fell literally 3 days outwith my dell support period first time around).

Im now in the position where the screen is ready to fail for the 3rd time!! (I have a line of blue on the left hand side which so far has been the warning sign that the laptop screen is ready to fail).

I simply dont understand what is either wrong with the laptop itself or what I am doing that is causing it to do this.

The laptop is set up with mobile processors which are fantastic and give me great performance - I dont really want to buy another laptop just yet as this laptop does all I need it to do.

If anyone has any thoughts/solutions they will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

howard64 17:40 17 Feb 2009

enter the fault into google and if it appears to be something that a lot of other people have had it becomes an inherant fault and Dells support period does not come into it. This is part of consumer protection law.

Donald-1338933 17:51 17 Feb 2009

thanks - I have already done a good bit of looking around on google with little success. If anyone has found anything by all means pass me the URL

MAJ 17:56 17 Feb 2009

I sometimes find, on laptops, that the screen cable comes loose from it's attachments. It's usually tracked from the rear of the screen down and along a channel just above the top of the keyboard, then down to the motherboard. sometimes fiddling with the cable and making sure that it isn't stretched or pulled too much can aleviate the problem you describe. I have had similar problems before but was getting a red line down the left hand side, rather than the blue line in your case, I also noticed that videos (youtube, etc.) had terrible colours.

If the manufacturer has washed their hands of it and you're ready for dumping the laptop, then the above is something you might like to try, if you feel competent in dismantling the laptop, it worked for me.

Donald-1338933 18:24 17 Feb 2009

hey

Many thanks - took the laptop apart already and made sure all connections were both clean and secure. So all appears ok on that front.

Kaacee 22:11 17 Feb 2009

Why don't you contact Dell and explain your problem to them, perhaps they can come up with a solution and you never know, if you talk nicely to them they may supply new sceen, they did with my daughters laptop, and that was out of warranty by 5 months, but as howard64 said, consumer law comes into it, althouigh I do recognise you have had the machine for 3 years so maybe not in this case, but worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?