Dell laptop missing or corrupt file

clayton 13:40 07 Feb 2006

I keep getting this error when i start the laptop
System32\drivers\Ntfs.sys
Ive tried using the xp cd to reinstall the o/s using the update option but its not shown on the list.
Any ideas how i can fix this problem without a full install of xp as i need to save the info thats on the hard drive thanks.

rawprawn 13:46 07 Feb 2006

Try Start/Run/type sfc /scannow you will need your XP CD

clayton 13:50 07 Feb 2006

sorry i should of said windows doesnt even load.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 07 Feb 2006

To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:

1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):

cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.

6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers

Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

woodchip 15:55 07 Feb 2006

Start Computer with XP CD and Repair, click here

clayton 17:10 07 Feb 2006

thanks for your replys, after entering copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers i get The system cannot find the file specified.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 07 Feb 2006

copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers

replace drive with cd with your CD drive letter d and drive with c (assumming XP on C drive and your CD is D drive)

you are trying to copy the file to the

clayton 17:35 07 Feb 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat done that, now the laptop is asking for the file 'asms'& wants me to Specify the path but the mouse isnt working.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 07 Feb 2006
  clayton 19:15 07 Feb 2006

ok looks like i'll just have to do a full install,thanks everyone for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?