Dell Laptop Hard Drive upgrade

Valveus 03:24 10 Feb 2009

Hi. I have Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop running Windows XP. I recently upgraded the memory to 2GB and the CPU from a 2.6GH Celeron to a 2.8 GH Pentium 4, and now want to upgrade the hard drive from the lowly 30GB model installed.

The problem is it doesn't have a standard IDE interface, with 44 separate pins but a single card with 22 contacts running down each side.

It's a Seagate ST93012A, and I've looked around on the internet for information on it but the spec list always says it's an IDE interface.

Does anybody know if this is a particularly unusual type of interface, and why it's different to normal? For example were they specially made for dell? And does anybody know where I can get hold of a compatable replacement, I've looked on the Dell website and they don't seem to offer them for sale.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

cream. 07:52 10 Feb 2009

Thats just a standard, old type, IDE laptop hard drive.

Here are some compatable hard drives. click here

Go for upto 120Gb with a spin speed of at least 5400, 7200 the best and the biggest cache you can get. That would be an improvement over the one you have.

PS be prepared o get a bit of extra heat with a faster spin hard drive.

skidzy 07:56 10 Feb 2009

Most hdd's should fit but you will need the adaptor,some info here click here

Valveus 02:34 15 Feb 2009

Hi.

Thanks for answering. You were right Skidzy, it was an adaptor!

What I'm wondering now though is can you get an adaptor like that which will let me fit a SATA drive into the computer?

Any help would be most welcome

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?