dell laptop

willymagic 16:23 25 Aug 2006

hi there,

im looking for some advice, basicaly im just about to buy my first laptop, since i have dealt with dell in the past and they have been pretty good im going to stick with them, im going to buy the Inspirion 6400, take a look here click here

the cheapest deal £498 and seems pretty good value, but im looking at the £589 deal as it has double memory and more hardrive plus a better optical drive, i have two questions, firstly do you think its worth splashing the extra dosh on the £589 deal or not?.. my second question is about the graphics card, i would like to play sport games like championship manager and tiger woods, im not sure how good the graphics are on there so would i need to spend another £80 on a 128mb radoen graphics card or £150 extra for a £256mb graphics card or would the onboard graphics be enough for what i want??...

many thanks in advance for your input..

skidzy 16:51 25 Aug 2006

You are looking at the same laptop i bought very recently.

Word of advice,You can haggle a little with Dell.

I picked the cheaper option then upgraded to a dvd writer and 1G of ram,and also asked for a recovery disc and windows disc.If i had paid online,it would have cost around £125.00 extra.I got the upgrades for around £65.00
There was a thread on PCA saying to phone and ask for the best price,this i done then haggled a little.

Free discs and £60.00 saved,now that what i call good service.

Just to add,im very pleased so far with the lappy..very quick and reliable and does everything i want it to.

Regarding your games,i would upgrade to the best you can afford.I do not use the lappy for games,so cannot really comment to much.

Good luck with Dell,im sure you will be impressed with the lappy.

willymagic 17:10 25 Aug 2006

hey thanks Skidzy,

thats good to know you are impressed with the laptop, makes me feel better! good job with the haggling, my nextdoor neighbour is also thinking about getting the exact same one, so maybe a call to dell would be the best option, im sure they will sort something out if im ordering two at once!!

thanks for the info

FelixTCat 17:25 25 Aug 2006

willymagic,

By the time you've upgraded the graphics you are going to pay ~£750. At that sort of price range you really ought to consider Mesh, Evesham or even this one: click here

which will perform nearly as well as the upgraded Dell but save you £200 - you could use part of that to upgrade the memory, but it isn't essential.

Regards,

Felix

willymagic 17:44 25 Aug 2006

thanks for that felix...

deffinitely given me something to think about now!! the zoostorm does look good and comes with 256mb graphics card which is cool, up to 4 weeks delivery though as its so popular!!..

cheers bud

961 18:57 25 Aug 2006

check zoostorm threads for after sales service

silverous 19:07 25 Aug 2006

Is this a duplicate post?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017