Dell Inspiron 7000 startup problem - hardware??

amethyst28 17:17 14 Mar 2009

Hi

I wonder if anyone can please offer any suggestions, I'm having a problem with an old laptop, which due to its exceptional battery life I would like to keep alive as long as possible.

It's a Dell Inspiron 7000, running Windows XP, which over the years has generally been reliable.

Usually when I start the laptop up, the 2 green lights come on at the front, but the machine suddenly seems to stop, often at different stages; either at the blue Dell logo or the Windows screen, and the image remains on screen, or while the screen is black. In either case, there is no response to any button presses, and the laptop is totally silent, as though switched off. The only option is to press and hold the power button, which will turn it off.

Occasionally it will power up correctly, and either co-operate until I turn it off, or freeze at a later stage than usual. If I lift the laptop and move it, I can pretty much guarantee it will freeze. This is what suggests a hardware fault to me, rather than software, though please correct me if wrong.

I replaced the screen and lid a while ago as I had managed to break the screen, but am assuming this fault is unrelated as there was quite a gap between the replacement and the fault occurring.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I can't afford to spend a fortune getting it looked at, but don't want to get rid of it. I'm not very good with computers, but if I know what it could be I may be able to look at options for getting it fixed, or attempting it myself if very basic as I really have nothing to lose.

Thanks for reading!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:52 14 Mar 2009

My guess is corrupt windows files due to bad sectors on the hard drive.

Try running disk check on the hard drive.

amethyst28 20:50 14 Mar 2009

Thanks, disk check hasn't picked anything up. I'm running it without battery at the moment. I've noticed now that when doing so, if I lift or dislodge the laptop, the lights go off, and there is a faint noise from the right hand side, seemingly below where the battery should be. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the freezing when moved/picked up? The charger in its socket isn't being dislodged, so maybe another reason it's turning off?

This is an odd problem, I thought at first it was similar to another problem I had with a previous laptop, which turned out apparently to be due to something coming into contact with the chassis which shouldn't. However, less convinced now.

amethyst28 20:59 14 Mar 2009

Now noticed that it seems to be specifically lifting the right hand side that causes it to turn off (still without battery), just wondering if this could be a related fault but with the battery in the screen remains lit as still powered? Don't know what to think really, just trying to give as much info as possible, seems totally bizarre.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone