Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop

Chas49 20:16 07 Mar 2009

My cousin bought this laptop second hand - somehow he 'caught a cold' with it - it would run - but so slowly and not always obeying the keyboard - he brought it to me to fix.

I found that it had McAfee Security and Norton Ghost installed - both of which had expired - so, knowing his kids habit of surf dangerous sites I reckon he had quite a few viruses aboard.

Fortunately I have been able to reinstall his operating system (via Cntl/F11) so the machine is healthy again (and a good machine it is!). One problem however has arisen, the left 'mouse' button does not work - probably didn't before the reinstall process - but I'm not sure.

Is there a chance that this could have resulted from that reinstall. I think not, it's just broken - but what do you think - is this a machine weak spot? Meanwhile, as a wireless mouse works OK I shall advise him to get one.

MAT ALAN 20:19 07 Mar 2009

the left 'mouse' button does not work

I think what you think it just busted, sometimes you can look for faults that are not really there, if a wireless mouse works you have sorta answered your own question...

Chas49 21:42 07 Mar 2009

As I thought - I know that I haven't done anything likely to physically damage the button - so it must have been broken already - possibly one of the reasons the previous seller got rid of it. But, as I said, the laptop works very well now - as long as a mouse is used, wireless or not. I have since read a review on this laptop, two years old and in PC Pro - the reviewer comments on the flimsy 'mouse' buttons but the rest of the review was favourable

Thanks Mat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?