Dell Inspiron 1525 cannot boot

George5162 21:56 03 Mar 2009

My Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista Home Premium stopped working today and I have many important files on it (I don't have a backup of them). When I try to turn it on, it appears to be working, but the screen goes blank after a few seconds (the light still stays on). (The BSoD showed up the first few times that I tried, but it doesn't anymore). I cannot boot into safe mode (F8 does not work) and I cannot boot from CDs, DVDs or USBs anymore. I have also tried running the BIOS test, which said that the test of Hard Drive 1 had failed and displayed the Error codes "0142" and "2000-01422 and Status: 79. Since it is a laptop, I do not want to take the hard disk out, but I don't want to have to pay to have the data recovered either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

George.

Diodorus Siculus 22:03 03 Mar 2009

Given that it will not boot from CD etc taking out the hard drive would be my preferred option if there is data you want; anything else will risk further deteriorating what is on the disk.

CalmCookie 22:50 03 Mar 2009

Please don't be too worried about removing your hard drive from the laptop, it's not as hard as you think so long as you take it slowly and note where everything came from.

If you remove the hard drive and you've got access to a Desktop PC you can connect you laptop drive to a Desktop Pc. I beleive, having at the specs of your PC that the Hard drive is a SATA hard drive. You will need a spare sata cable and power connector. An example of a power cable and sata cable connector :
click here

If your desktop PC that you want to connect the drive to is IDE connectors only then you will need this:
click here

Once connected and the desktop pc switched on, you will have access to the drive and be able to copy across any data to the desktop pc hard drive that you needed saved.

If you have any problems then ask back here again.

Do you have your OS Recovery CDS?.......if you do, then so long as you purchase a similar hard drive you will be able to fit it and re install the operating system.

:o)

George5162 16:58 04 Mar 2009

I have managed to get my computer to boot from an Ubuntu Live CD; however, many of my files are missing from the Documents folder. I have the revovery CDs, but I'm worried that I will lose my data if I reinstall Windows.

skidzy 17:27 04 Mar 2009

" I cannot boot from CDs, DVDs or USBs anymore "

Have you accessed the bios and changed the boot order to cd/dvd as first boot device ?

if you are are going to use a Linux distro,have a look here for some tips click here

George5162 18:06 04 Mar 2009

Yes I have changes the boot order and can now boot from ubuntu, but only some of the diles that I need can be found in the Documents folder.

George5162 18:06 04 Mar 2009

*files

George5162 20:18 04 Mar 2009

Can I reinstall Windows with a Dell Reinstallation DVD without deleting any files in my Documents?

CalmCookie 22:15 04 Mar 2009

No....sorry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?