Dell Inspiration "Repair"Mess

degssie 10:43 19 Jul 2010

I have a Dell E250 running what I thought was XP Media Centre.
I got the error message “windows\system32\config\sysrem is corrupt or missing. This can be repaired with the use of the installation disk” or something along those lines.
I inserted the recovery disc that came with the machine and booted from it. Selected repair and ran “CHKDSK C: /r” which said that it had found and repaired some errors.
Still had no joy. Went onto the Internet (Here) and followed the instructions to select “Install” rather than “Repair” and then selected repair. Then I noticed that it was headed “XP Professional Set-up”, carried on and got a number of alerts to say that certain files were not found. (I did not think to note them). After it had finished the machine would boot to the screen to select the various options such as Safe Mode or Last Good Configuration or Normal. I have selected every one in turn but all that happens is that it boots to the same screen and no further.
My main concern is that if I do a complete re-install with the same disk will I have the same problems????

lotvic 17:55 19 Jul 2010

Dell Inspiron E250? are you sure that is the model? Can't find it listed
Is it a laptop or desktop?

If it has PC Restore on hard drive as most Dells do, have a look at instructions on thread click here

and yes you will get some probs with reinstall from CD as you will also need the Drivers CD (available to download from Dell)but it will wipe the PC Restore option off and you will have to activate XP.

degssie 18:12 19 Jul 2010

Sorry, should read Dimension E520 and is a desktop. I have a CD labelled Resources which contains drivers and diagnostic/utilities.

Ashrich 18:19 19 Jul 2010

click here has helped me with this problem , give it a good read .

Ashley

lotvic 19:38 19 Jul 2010

Dell CD's are just ordinary OEM (not recovery CD's specific to a particular make)
Download the manual click here
read pages 54 to about 58 which deals with the various ways to do restores including restore from CD

I like dells, they have good manuals :).... and yes I've got a Dell

degssie 20:58 21 Jul 2010

Well I tried everything but could not find any restore points but did managed to use Knoppix to move some files to my second hard drive. In the end had to use the "Restore to factory state" in the recovery partition and am now downloading 81 Windows updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017