DELL Inspiration 6400 lap top charging problem

toonfireman1746 13:16 21 Mar 2011

Hi
My daughters dell is not charging, it has a brand new battery.
The power lead connection seems a little lose could this be the cause? Or is there an inherent fault with this model
thanks

birdface 14:12 21 Mar 2011

The power lead connection seems a little loose.Either a bad power lead or the connection on your motherboard needs resoldered.

onthelimit 15:12 21 Mar 2011

When you wiggle the lead, does the charging light on the laptop flicker? It could be the socket, as buteman says. It could also be a fractured wire within the rubber sheath around the plug from the adaptor. You should be able to work out which by careful flexing of the lead/plug.

toonfireman1746 18:26 21 Mar 2011

no I have tried moving.
I think it will have to go in.
thanks

northumbria61 19:08 21 Mar 2011

"The power lead connection seems a little lose could this be the cause" - almost all of the time this is caused by the plug on the end of the charger which goes into the laptop and usually down to "wear and tear" - ie; due to unintentional pulling on the cable. If you establish that it is the charger cable and it is a "straight" connector then a suitable replacement would be one with a 90degree connector.

northumbria61 19:10 21 Mar 2011

You say the charger does not "flicker" - is there a power light on the charger (usually green) and is it lit when plugged into the mains?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?