Dell and Distance Selliing Regulations

brewersfan 19:33 18 Jun 2007

Hello all,

I've bought a Dell laptop that was delivered today, and the second time I used it I noticed 2 deal pixels on the screen. I'm aware that their policy on this is 5 or more and the screen and it will be replaced, but I think to have 2 on the day of delivery is unusual.

I considered returning the laptop under the Distance Selling Regulations, but apparently they don't apply if the item in question has been built to "personalised goods or goods made to a consumer's specification". To my mind, all Dell's laptops fall into this category so do the Regulations apply to Dell?

Thanks in advance.

daba 00:02 19 Jun 2007

I've had this problem with an LG monitor - in the end a power supply fault developed and they had to replace it - lucky me...

In my opinion, they are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act, which states "Goods...must be free from defects....". Yours clearly isn't.

The price you paid for your lappy is the same as the price others pay for perfect products, I say the policy is cheating the system.

Clearly Dell CAN supply hundreds, or thousands, of "perfect" laptops and monitors, and they in turn would have a come-back on their suppliers. I can't believe a company of their size and reputation resorts to hiding behind such a policy, which is designed to cheat the consumers out of their rights.

skidzy 00:07 19 Jun 2007

Have you contacted Dell ?
Normally they are very good in sorting out there issues.

brewersfan 22:05 27 Jun 2007

I did contact Dell and they agreed 2 dead pixels on the delivery day was not normal. They suppplied a replacement that doesn't have any dead pixels.

My question re the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) was as much rhetorical as much as anything, bearing in mind as they claim to customize their products.

I'll mark this as resolved but if anyone wants to comment about the DSR please feel free.

spuds 22:16 27 Jun 2007

Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017