Dell Dimension upgrade

piuy 21:25 09 Jul 2004

Wonder if anyone can advise. I have just started working from home and therefore i am demanding a lot more from my PC than in the past.
I currently use Autodesk autocad and photoshop/quark on a day to day basis and my current pc is having a bit of a fit. Basiscly its running very slow and crashes all the time.
I am have a Dell dimensions xps t500 (purchased about 5 years ago).
It has 128mb ram, pentium 3 and 16md 3dfx Vodoo 3 AGP graphics card, oh by the way i know very little about all of this.
Rather than throwing my pc in the canel i would like to upgrade the inside, so i can design, draw and surf with ease.
any help on this very long winded request would be very helpful.

johnsims 21:36 09 Jul 2004

Not surprised your PC is struggling. They are pretty beefy progs. I would suggest you need:

New Mobo
New processor - I think the Athlon XP 2400 + would be sufficient
Min 512Mb PC 2700 memory
Big HDD - say 80Gb minimum
New Graphics card - say Raseon 9200 with 128Mb DDR RAM
It may be that your old case will not cope with the cooling requirements of all this new kit. Also likely that the PSU will not cope.

So ..... really would be better to buy a new PC and network the old one as online backup and storage. If you have no need to play games, you do not need to spend a fortune on a fast graphics setup, the card mentioned above should more than cope with anything autocad and photoshop throw at it. Watford have some pretty good basic machines at reasonable prices (around £500) with built in modem and built in LAN and on board sound, and while you only have limited configurability on their web site, they will alter them around to your hearts content if you speak to them on the phone. click here

piuy 11:33 17 Jul 2004

thanks for the info johnsims. i thought it would mean a new machine.

piuy 11:33 17 Jul 2004

thanks for the info johnsims. i thought it would mean a new machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?