Dell Dimension 9200 Core 2 Quad - Are they noisey

CodeMeister 16:23 18 Aug 2007

Hello,

I'm considering buying a Dell Dimension 9200 with an Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz,1066MHz,8MB cache).

I'd be grateful if anyone could please tell me if these systems are noisy.

I currently have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz and that is much noisier than I would like.

I understand that the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor can operate at higher temperature and uses power management and the Dell Dimensions use something called QuietCase technology, but you can never tell how noisy a system is until it has been delivered.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
David

Rubus 20:51 03 Sep 2007

Very interesting read, thanks Jay.

I'm glad it's sorted out now. I'll be disabling RAID as soon as I get the machine, I don't really think I'd benefit much from it & would rather have the added 250GB.

Also I'm putting XP Pro on it too as I know there's no issues with that OS. I'll put Vista HP back on when they release the 1st service pack.

CodeMeister 21:55 03 Sep 2007

I'm still intrigued to know why Dell have suddenly stopped displaying the Dimension 9200 within the "Business" section of their website.

Maybe the Dimension 9200 is about to be discontinued.

Anyone know anything about the XPS 210 system ? It looks like a nice compact unit, but does not seem to support Core 2 Quad processors.

Jaycub120 23:05 03 Sep 2007

Hi Rubus your welcome and i hope all goes well for you. Good point about not putting Vista on until service pack one is released as i bought Vista premium in March to put on a Dell 4550 which runs fairly well and Ultimate in August which i find buggy with missing display panel icons and dream scene crashing, from what i have read about the unofficial service pack release is that Vista should run faster as well as more stable...

Hi Codemeister something i read in another forum was the xps 210 uses half height graphics card and is quite compact..here is a link for the technical specs click here

CodeMeister 08:22 04 Sep 2007

Hi Jaycub120

Many thanks for the link to the XPS 210.

The XPS 210 just looked like a nice compact little unit, but I guess there's always a trade off with reduced performance.

Rubus 10:11 04 Sep 2007

Re discontinuing the 9200, apparently the XPS 410 is exactly the same machine.

CodeMeister 10:19 04 Sep 2007

Hi Rubus

Thanks for that. The XPS 410 doesn't seem to appear anywhere on the Dell U.K. website, although it does appear on the Del U.S.A website and does indeed look similar to the Dimension 9200.

CodeMeister 10:19 04 Sep 2007

Hi Rubus

Thanks for that. The XPS 410 doesn't seem to appear anywhere on the Dell U.K. website, although it does appear on the Dell U.S.A website and does indeed look similar to the Dimension 9200.

Rubus 21:06 04 Sep 2007

You're right CM, the xps410 is nowhere to be found on the UK site!

I followed a link on the dell forums but it must have been the USA site!

Sorry for that confusion :o

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?