Dell Dimension 8400 SATA drivers

boon_intheuk 14:05 07 Mar 2009

Hi, I have inherited a dell dimension 8400, the only thing missing was a harddrive. It has a pentium 4 3ghz cpu, 1 gig ram, nvidia quadro fx 550 graphics card , dvd rom drive and dvd writer.
I do not have a SATA HDD so I put in an IDE HDD using one of the optical drive IDE cable plugs, fine.
But, I want to install it on a SATA port so that I can use both optical drives, I purchased a SATA to IDE adapter, but when I try and boot up with the IDE drive attached to the SATA0 port the BIOS cannot find it. I had a backup copy of the Dell Win XP OS but no other disks.
Does the "SATA drive" require special drivers? I found a category in the Dell downloads section for my PC entitled "SATA Drives". click here.
There are two items, Intel - Application, and Intel - Driver. Is this what I need? If so, what do I do with them? Does it matter what brand of drive or that it is an IDE type (with SATA adapter)? Thanks for any help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:15 07 Mar 2009

try the driver first.

usually when loading windows onto a sata drive you need to load the driver at the F6 prompt. You therefore may have to do a windows repair from the CD and load the drivers from floppy at the F6 prompt.
If no floopy then you may need to slipstream the drivers using nlite.

boon_intheuk 19:54 07 Mar 2009

Thanks for that fruit bat, the PC has a floppy. Does that mean that I would get an actual prompt to install sata drivers by pressing F6? I obviously need to do the os repair with the IDE drive setup as the sata drive with adapter?
Thanks again.

boon_intheuk 12:51 08 Mar 2009

Fruit Bat?

boon_intheuk 11:48 09 Jul 2011

Anyone?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:12 09 Jul 2011

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?