Dell Dimension 5150 - Start up problem

ginlynne 10:36 04 Sep 2009

I have a three and half year old Dell Dimension 5150, which has suddenly stopped being able to start up.

It either goes between the Dell load up screen and a blank screen, or occassionally will get into the Windows start up screen, but when I try to access a program, it just keeps re-booting.

I'm no technical person, but with the help of some lovely people on here earlier this year, I successfully replaced the graphics card, and I think there is a problem with the power, as it has been sounding as if it has been working very hard lately, I also thought that the base unit felt warm yesterday afternoon, so at the moment it is unplugged.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't know whether to take it to an independent repair person, pc world techguys or Dell's new presto service.

ginlynne 12:37 04 Sep 2009

Can no one help?

steve0 13:34 04 Sep 2009

My 5150 is nearly 5 years old. If the machine is getting hot or fan is working too hard it might need cleaning. Also, overheating can be a cause of shutting down. I clean mine every month or so. Switch off and give the fan and back of the case a few blasts with a compressed air can.

Hope this helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 04 Sep 2009

XP or Vista?

ginlynne 17:49 04 Sep 2009

XP

ginlynne 17:56 04 Sep 2009

I thought I'd give it another go this afternoon, in the vain hope that the problem had resolved itself.
I did get as far as getting into Windows, and a message came up saying that the computer was recovering from a serious error - I sent the report, and it came back saying that the details were corrupted, and therefore could be a major problem.
Then it went back into the continual process of trying to re-boot.
I also found an article about the four lights on the front, only number three is partly lit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 04 Sep 2009

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

ginlynne 18:07 04 Sep 2009

Thank you for your reply Fruit Bat, but we never had any Windows XP discs from Dell when we had the computer.

ginlynne 18:20 04 Sep 2009

I have just found an article on Dell support, about using PC restore, if you don't have the discs, but I will obviously have to save all my data first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 04 Sep 2009

Can you borrow a disk from someone?

TRy tapping F8 at boot up and select last kown good configuration.

If ou can get it into windows again then:

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?